Anthea joined TurksLegal in 2019 in the General Insurance Practice Group and is a Partner in our Melbourne insurance team.
Practising exclusively for insurers and self-insured corporations, Anthea has been involved in a variety of insurance matters, including but not limited to:
- providing advice on liability and indemnity issues across a variety of insurance products, policies and claims;
- subrogated property damage claims (commercial, domestic and motor vehicle);
- flood and water damage claims;
- product liability claims arising from the Australian Consumer Law and general negligence against suppliers and manufacturers;
- home contents claims;
- theft, arson and fraud claims;
- coverage issues, policy interpretation and issues arising under the Insurance Contract Act 1984 (Cth);
- insurance claims that involve a range of issues including indemnity, parties’ obligations and rights under policies, non-disclosure, misrepresentation, duty of utmost good faith and fraud which encompass both application of the common law and the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth);
- major litigation;
- total and permanent disablement, income protection and death claims;
- common law negligence disputes and section 138 recovery actions commenced by the Victorian Workcover Authority;
- complex coverage, contractual construction and policy interpretation issues;
- Australian Financial Complaints Authority disputes (formerly the Financial Ombudsman Service); and
- recovery actions on behalf of insurers.
Anthea also regularly appears on behalf of insurers in litigated general and life insurance disputes in a number of jurisdictions within Australia.
Anthea is a strong negotiator and represents her clients at mediations and pre-hearing conferences. One of her main objectives is to achieve timely and cost effective outcomes with a practical and innovative approach to litigation.